Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Healthy Recipes-Kiwi Ginger smoothies


I am A walker and normally check weather channel before walk. Well the weather in this winter has been user friendly (global warming sign??), at least in the East coast, except the Feb 25th! OMG! It was freezing. Well, if you did not get a chance to go out, you would not understand what I am talking about. I mean "freaking cold". I decided to take a regular walk, about 5 miles or 1 and half hours, around my neighborhoood. I had sweat shirt on and thought it was more than enough. You know, when you exercise, you sweat and do not need to wear a heavy jacket. That's what I did.


When I walked the first 15 minutes, I did sweat a little bit. Half way of my goal, I felt ok. Then it became very windy around 5:30pm. Boy! I felt my sweat shirt became the fish net, nothing could block the wind!! I started running. At that time, I put my hands together to get some walmth. I found my skin was icy cold. At certain point, I could not sense anything when I pinched my arms! It was just 5 minutes away from my home, but I felt my body was like frozen, from head to toe! I could literally call 911.
When I got home, it took me more than 2 days to recover!! hahagaga!! Did feel a little bit sick ( light headache, and low appetite). What I said in my previous post-When you feel you are having cold, drink ginger tea!!! That's why I made this ginger recipe! You got it! I'm sharing my health secrete with yal!! I tested and it WORKS!!!
Here's the temperature from Weather.com which shows on 2/25 (see, it seemed normal temperature, right?, but it felt like 20F below;(((










There's no way that the temperature was round 40s on that day! It felt like 20s because it was snowing!
Anyway, I love all challenges, but do not recommend anybody to try it;)) Now I can remove it from my "Bucket list".











OK. Cold enough. Let's drink something warm. I just used everything available in my refrige.

Benefits-it helps you recover faster if you have light colds, rich in protein and Vitamin C. The smoothie looks like silky tofu, tastes spicy, lightly sweet, savory and smooth!!! It's great for your skin as well!! I got the following info about Ginger from University of Maryland Medical Center










photo via tlc.howstuffworks.com
Ginger -- the underground stem, or rhizome, of the plant Zingiber officinale -- has been used as a medicine in Asian, Indian, and Arabic herbal traditions since ancient times. In China, for example, ginger has been used to help digestion and treat stomach upset, diarrhea, and nausea for more than 2,000 years. Ginger has also been used to help treat arthritis, colic, diarrhea, and heart conditions.

You can read more by clicking the link above which takes you to the Ginger page. In China, Ginger is wildly used for colds, and nausea, such as sea sick and car sick. I never tried. My mom said it works. I never tried.

Tea pairing-you can take the smoothie alone or drink with herbal tea such as Jasmine Green tea.

Ingredients: (it makes 2 servings, 8 oz per serve)
16 oz vanilla Soy milk (I'm lactose intolerance. You can use regular milk, best if whole milk)
 3 ripe kiwi, pealed
2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 tbsp honey
Garnish (optional) Fresh mint leaves

Instructions:
1. Pour the milk into a pot. Heat until 180F. Or you can boil it then let it sit to cool down.
2. Add all ingredients to the food blender and mix with the hot milk. Puree for 30 sec or 1 minute until smooth.

Drink it when it's still hot (or you can let it cool down until you feel comfortable to drink it) so that you can sweat sweat sweat!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A colleague linked me to your resource. Thnx for the details.
My page Home Party Supplies

Unknown said...

thanks Home Party Supplies for your comment!! party more and drink more;))

Follow this blog with Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...